Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Writer's Age Group

Went to my writers club meeting yesterday. We had a guest speaker come in to talk about her new book and what it is like writing and publishing for teens; preferably for people aged around 12 to 18 years old.

I always thought it would be fun to write for that age group, writing stories that deal with experiences taking place during those dreadful high school years. The drama, the parties, the choices, the adventure, the constant struggle with life. But to me, writing out those kinds of stories seem to be somewhat limited..The writer does not have much freedom as would a writer that goes for an audience who are considered to be in the age group of young adult to adult. And right now I am that kind freedom writer. I am a writer that writes out the intensity, the shocking, the horror, the suspense, and the thrill that life sometimes puts us all through.

I imagine I will one day write a high school piece but for now I'm sticking to writing adult literature. Sorry kids!

In other news:
I am happy to report that my outline for my novel is nearly complete. It is coming along better than I expected it to since I placed the storyline in another direction. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will have a solid plan laid out and I can continue writing my first draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment